Training since Dec and amidst Covid-19 lockdown


The last race I ran was the Tata Steel Kolkata 25K mid Dec. I kept the momentum going in Dec, happened to clock my highest ever mileage (430 km), I was pretty pleased with how my training was coming along for Tata Mumbai Marathon (TMM) on 19-Jan. As my luck would have it, the week of Jan 13th, I contracted a pretty bad eye infection and was not able to run the Mumbai Marathon. I do want to run a marathon in Mumbai one day.

I had mentally prepared myself for drop in training volume starting Feb due to my new job that I started on Feb 4. I went about with my training as much as I could without stressing about the miles I would log. If I compare start of the year until mid May, I ran ~11% more (about 1,286 km) compared to last year (1,152 km). Lockdown & work from home seemed to have helped keeping the miles ticking.

Training during Covid-19 lockdown, 
  • I had somewhat taken running in GKVK for granted. I can't believe my last run there was on 13-Mar. Starting 15-Mar, GKVK stopped allowing runners to enter due to Covid-19
  • Without much choice, moved my training field to Jakkur Lake, they shut for public a week later also
  • I was pretty bugged with all public places which provided opportunity for running in trail closing down, I just took a break from 23-Mar to 29-Mar 
  • MCECHS & Telecom Layout became my next training ground, but that was short lived due to dog menace, bad roads and general filth
  • Without much choice left in and around my area and the lockdown in full effect, I moved my training to my apartment complex. Thankfully I can do a 2 km loop within the apartment complex, but the challenge is to negotiate a pretty steep climb on the way out. My first 10 km on 9-Apr was a nightmare, I was out of breath and struggled to maintain decent pace due to lack of uphill training over the years. I did all my runs in that 2 km loop during Apr, 1 km out uphill and back. I ran many 100 minutes week day runs, 1 or 2 half marathons until end of Apr. Over the weeks in Apr, running this loop, my runs felt stronger, avg heart rate dropping for the same pace
  • Since 2-May, I have been running the Airport Road flyover that starts across Aster hospital and goes all the way up to Yelahanka AF station. The road is shut for vehicular traffic at the moment, but I am sure as the airport opens, so would this road. At which point, I would need to find another place to take my run to
  • These 2-3 months has been only easy base miles building as per my mentor (Shailja's) advise, I think it would continue like this rest of the year, given the mess Covid-19 has left the world in
  • I am fairly confident I can manage a decent finish time with a few weeks of speed work training thrown in closer to a race (whenever there is one!). For now, I am thoroughly enjoying what I am managing
I am a data driven guy, so some stats.

Weekly mileage since mid Dec through mid May. The trend-line is flattish and going slight down :). 

Weekly mileage 15-12-19 - 10-05-20

Elevation gain week on week since mid Dec through mid May.

Weekly elevation gain 15-12-19 - 10-05-20






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

25

Tokyo Marathon

TM - Weekly Buildup