Year 2022

2022 was essentially a comeback year. 2021 was pretty much a washout, thanks to Covid-19, work, other priorities and my general lack of interest in running. I always knew I would resume one day, I didn't have any FOMO as such :), thanks to solo training for a few years. 2019 & 2020 were some busy training years, you can read about them here and here respectively. A meagre 522 kms in 2021, of those ~420 km came in Q1-2021 and the remaining 100 km across the 3 quarters of the year. Subpar training volume! Less said better.

2022

Started the year and the first week recovering from Covid-19 fading Delta variant at the time. Gave myself another 6-8 weeks to ease into the year, there was enough going on the work front which kept me occupied. I did a Tirupati trip with family early Feb, post the trip, I eased into walking 3-4 times a week. My cardio fitness was in the toilet, I was super cautious and patient to build it brick-by-brick. I did a bit of walk-run-walk regime in April to go run the TCS 10K Bengaluru event, a race that I'd registered in 2020 which was deferred in 2020 & 2021 due to Covid-19 until mid-May. I kept momentum and mileage of about 25-40 km/week through May & Jun. Q3 I trained for NYC Marathon, you can read all about it here.

  • 99.99% solo training
  • Averaged ~30 km/week, 3-4 days of running/week 
  • 1612 km, this was about ~44% of 2020 training volume
  • 185 hours, this was about ~50% of 2020 training hours
  • Big 0 km on the saddle, no cycling whatsoever
  • Averaged a minute slower pace in comparison to 2020 runs, this was largely due to extremely slow running to build aerobic base and minuscule speed work sprinkled in closer to NYC Marathon 
  • Maintained body weight in the ballpark of 70 kg (~155 lb)
  • Barring the deferred TCS 10K Bengaluru race, stayed away from events - I don't intend to change that
  • 2 events - TCS 10K (mid-May) & TCS NYC Marathon (Early-Nov)
  • Touchwood remained injury-free
2023
  • Be consistent and up the training volume
  • Try and get to 75% of 2020 training volume, which would translate to ~50 km/week, eventually to take it to 2020 levels in 2024, all being well
  • Strength train at least twice a week and consistently
  • Train for TCS London Marathon end of April
  • Qualify and run Malnad Ultra 50 km end of Nov w/ Sriram to ring his 50th birthday in 2023 in style

Comments

  1. Best wishes for achieving your 2023 goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get back to your 2020 figures slow and steady. Hope London in Apr will provide a better weather than what you experienced in Newyork marathon..

      Wishing you all the best to achieve your planned goals in 2023.

      Rajaraman

      Delete
    2. Over 24 months. London I am hoping would be cooler. NYC was a bit of an anomaly weather wise.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

25

Tokyo Marathon

TM - Weekly Buildup